Monday, May 21, 2012

Missing Gencon

Gencon is the largest gaming convention I've ever gone to.  It houses around 20,000 people for 4(+) days.  Just about any type of gaming product imaginable is represented.  Board games, card games, role playing, video games, comics, novels, movies, magazines... etc etc blah blah I could go on forever about this.

Gencon is something of a yearly tradition for my family.  We spend way too much money on hotels and food and party it up like you wouldn't believe.  We meet new people, reconnect with old friends, and go a bit looney from the lack of sleep.  *I cast sleep deprivation!*

The good news is: This year's gathering expects to be one of the biggest of all time, as the new convention halls and rooms will be completed for expanded areas for fitting in even more gaming goodness into the old RCA dome in downtown Indy!

The bad news?:  We're not going.  O_O,  It's just not going to happen this year.  And it's not just a financial thing (We could make the cut, things would be tight, but we can afford to go), it's more of a "Where do we fit it in this year" kind of thing.  We are planning a HUGE week-long Disney vacation this fall/winter for Xmas.  (CURSE YOU DISNEY!!), we just had a baby (YAY!!  congrats to us!), I just started a new job (YAY!! congrats to me!), Vakay days are nearly used up with the baby + Disney for both my wife and I, and.. well.. We're just tired.

One thing is, we'd have to bring the little one (He'd be about 4 months old while at gencon), and we're already

tired just about all the time.  How much more tired would we be if we were both taking care of a lil' one and

running about gaming all hours of the week!?!?  So I'm not 100% sure how much we'd really enjoy ourselves this year.  So I'm just making the announcement now.  We're not attending gencon 2012. As much as I want to see the unveiling of Blue Planet ver. 3.  Really, I want to see this SO bad.  I have a collection of every single book in the ver 2.0 series along with the GURPS versions.  I'm a bit of a Blue Planet fanboy, yet I've barely every played the game.  I can actually count the amount of times I've played it on one hand, but I've been dying for this game to catch on so others would be more interested in playing it with me!... wait, I've gone on a bit of a tangent.  My apologies.  There are millions of great reasons to go to gencon.  I could go on and on, again....

With this decision, I can honestly say that I am looking forward to gencon 2013 more than many things.  The build up will be awesome!!  And hell, I've skipped years before.  We didn't go in 2004 because of the birth of our daughter, and we didn't go in 2009 for a MILLION reasons.  2009 was so crazy for me, that gencon came and went and I was like: "Oh, was this weekend GENCON?"  O_O?  So it's not like we've never done this before.  It's no big deal!  Just thinking about how awesome GENCON 2013 will be is almost worth it anyway.  It's not like I NEED to go to the greatest gaming convention ever in the history of mankind each and every year.

I'm beginning to wonder if this entry is more of a self soothing message to myself that cushions the blow a bit of how much we'll actually be missing out on.  Remember the time you had to stay home to work on a School/work project while all your friends went to the biggest party of the year?  Imagine having to work the weekend the fair came to town.  This is kind of like that.  Times a thousand.  We'll have to think of something to do back home to take our minds off it.

Must think of something ;)


You read it. You cannot un-read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment